Thursday, October 31, 2019

ICFTL | Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? The royal capital battle Ch. 2

The Royal Capital Battle 2

Author’s note: Shun's point of view.


「 Sensei. I am still going to save Nii-sama 」

Sensei bites her lip as she hears the stubbornness in my voice.
Naturally, Sensei understands that I must go back.

「 Will you go no matter what? 」
「 Yes 」
「 I see. I guess I’ll have to follow you then 」
「 Sensei, this is my problem. You don't have to follow me 」
「 I can't let you go there alone 」
「 He’s not alone. I’m going to be tagging along with him 」
「 Katia, bu- 」
「 Please let me come, I was brainwashed, I need to fix the problems that I’ve caused 」

Katia’s eyes seem as determined as mine.
In other words, she's not going to back down.

「 Fine. But, don't pull any stunts, okay? 」
「 Ok 」

She quickly agrees.
But, that promise can’t be trusted in any way.
Katia has a face that suggests she is going to do something reckless.
「 If Shun’s is going, of course, I will be going as well 」
「 Hyrinth 」
[ Don't worry, I will protect you ]

Hyrinth sent that thought with “Telepathy”.
If that's the case, then I can rest easy.

「 Well then, what’s our strategy going to be? 」
「 Defeat Hugo. That's it...」
「 That's impossible 」


「 Hugo-kun, no, Hugo has already gone home to the Renxandt Empire. Together with Sue-chan 」
「 What!? 」
「 Shun, you acquired Spatial Magic, right? What's it’s level? 」
「 It's only at level 3 right now. Its level grows painfully slow. Unfortunately, I can't use “Long-Distance Teleport” just by training in Spatial Magic 」

In the royal castle of the Analeit Kingdom, there's a magic device called a “Teleport point” that teleports you directly to the Kasanagara continent. But even if we could use it, the exit is still a long distance away from the Renxandt Empire.
No matter what we do, it's impossible to reach the Renxandt Empire before Nii-sama's execution.

「 So, they escaped out of out reach? 」
「 Yeah, for now, it's pretty much impossible to kill Hugo 」
「 Kill?! 」

Blood drains from my face as I hear Sensei’s words.

「 Shun-kun, don't tell me you intend to let Hugo live after all he's done? 」
「 No, bu- 」
「 Shun-kun, If I had cared enough about Hugo back then, I wouldn't have stopped at only depriving him of his skills and status. I would have killed him, then none of this would have happened, that’s my only regret as a teacher」

I shivered when I saw Sensei’s bleak eyes.
She is serious.
She is seriously thinking of killing Hugo.

Even I can't forgive Hugo.
My father was killed, not to mention Sue and many others are being manipulated.
There's no way that I could ever forgive him.
But, the idea of killing him never crossed my mind.
I just can’t bring myself to kill another person.

「 Besides, killing Hugo comes after we save your brother Leston. Let’s just think of a plan for now 」

Everyone accepts the fact that we are going to kill Hugo rather easily, everyone other than me.
Is that strange?
Am I strange?
If I look at it objectively. What Hugo has done deserves the death penalty.
And yet, I’m his victim and I still can’t bring myself to kill him.

When I think about it, the figure of a Hero comes to mind, Julius.
Even he couldn’t avoid killing. I'm sure that he has killed a lot of Demons with his hands.
But still, I wonder if he ever felt uncomfortable about killing people, just like me.
But now isn't the time for that, I should be thinking about saving
Nii-sama.

「 On the night before
Nii-sama's execution. We break into wherever they’re holding him and we grab him and escape. I think that’s the only way where we could avoid any unnecessary combat 」

Everyone thinks about my plan.

「 Well… It's full of holes 」

Hyrinth plainly mutters.

「 Like what? 」
「 We don't even know where Leston is being held. If we don't know where it is, then an infiltration would be pointless 」
「 If that's the case, we can use my skill 」

Sensei raises her hand to Hyrinth's objection.

「 I have a special “Ruler” skill. It can mark and target specific skills. Because I've seen Leston-kun's skill list, we could probably use
my skill find him 」

「 I see 」
Now I understand how Sensei could find all us former students so quickly.
She used her skill to search for that garbled text skill that all the students have.

「 Then, the second problem. There will definitely be guards around Leston. Shun, do you have any idea of how to deal with them? 」
「 We are probably strong enough to win against normal soldiers. But we shouldn’t expect to be able to sneak past all of them, we may just have to force our way through if we’re discovered 」

The people we have here are all very skilled.
There's no way that we could lose to a bunch of random soldiers.

「 There will be traps, what are we going to do about those? 」
「 We have enough power to just trample through them 」

At least I think so.

「 Then, then the last problem is, what will you do if Leston has been brainwashed by the time we get there? 」

I freeze, I can’t respond to Hyrinth’s words.
It’s not like I hadn't thought of that being a possibility before.
Hugo is prepared to do anything.
That includes brainwashing
Nii-sama. He could make him attack us, or even the worst thing I can think of, making Nii-sama kill himself.
If he does attack, we can easily hold him down.
But, it's another story to stop someone from committing suicide.
Either way, if Nii-sama is brainwashed, then our current situation will be even worse.

I have a trump-card, although it would be best if we could avoid using it. But if the situation calls for it, then I guess it can’t be helped.
「 I have an idea if Nii-sama has been brainwashed, could you leave it to me? 」
「 Why, you got a plan? 」
「 Yeah, I won't let Hugo do as he pleases 」
「 Well, all that’s left now is to rescue everyone else 」

Everyone frowns at my words.

「 Shun, that's impossible 」
「 Why is that? 」
「 Although we don't know how many people have been brainwashed by Hugo, I'm sure it's a large number. We don't have enough people to protect them all while they escape 」
「 But-- 」
「 Shun, I agree with Hyrinth」
「 Katia? 」
「 Shun, there are things that we can’t
feasibly do. If you try to naively save everyone, things will only get worse 」

I try to object to Katia's words but I notice that she’s clenching her trembling fist.
That's right.
Katia hadn't even mentioned how her parents or the people from the Duke’s house were doing at all.
She never said we should go save them.
Katia has seemingly given up on rescuing her parents.
But, I can tell from her expression.
She wants to go save them.

「 So, the only person we’re rescuing is Leston... 」

I stutter as the words leave my mouth.
Even I'm worried about what happened to Clevea.
And while I want to save Sue and the others.
I can’t do it.
I don't have the strength to save them right now.

「 Hugo probably won’t be there. But just in case, Shun you should use your “Appraisal” frequently. Hugo went back to the Renxandant Empire using “Long-Distance Teleport”, so he could return at any time. If that happens, he’d be in a position to brainwash us before we could even react 」

「 Ah. That's right 」
「  Sensei. you are the only one who hasn’t been appraised so far, you should let shun appraise you 」

Katia's words cut sharply.
So she was aiming for this all along.

Sensei's expression changes.

「 What's wrong? If you aren’t guilty, then it should be fine to accept the appraisal. Or, is there something that you'd rather we don’t see? 」
「 That's... 」
「 Sensei. If you don't accept Shun's appraisal right now, I don’t think you can be trusted 」

Sensei kept silent for a while. after a moment, she nodded reluctantly.

「 Go ahead 」

I aim my "Appraisal" at Sensei.
High status,
High-level skills.
I expected as much, so I’m not all that surprised.
And then I saw the thing that Sensei didn’t want us to see.

「 Don't worry Katia. There's nothing suspicious in Sensei's status 」
「 Well, If Shun says so then I trust you. Sensei I’m sorry for doubting you 」
「 N-No. It's all right 」

Sensei got flustered at the sight of the bowing Katia.

[ Why? ]
Sensei talks to me using “Telepathy”.
[What do you mean?]

I act oblivious to Sensei's question.

[ You know what I’m talking about ]
[ Well, I kind of expected it to be there ]

That's right.
In Sensei's skill list, there's the "Taboo" skill.

[ Shun-kun, don't tell me, you-- ]

I drown out Sensei's “Telepathy”.
What I have to think about now is how to rescue Nii-sama.



Translator: Esper

Proofreader: Lain
Quality Control: Lain

No comments:

Post a Comment